Why Host an Exchange Student?
When you host an exchange student, you're doing more than making his or her dream come true. As a host family, you also:
- Enrich your family, local high school, and community
- Increase the mutual understanding between people of different cultures
- Encourage peaceful relationships between the United States and other countries around the world
What are the Benefits of Becoming a Host Family?
Open up your home to a foreign exchange student and show them what life in America is really like
Learn about cultures, customs and traditions from around the world
Make new friends and create memories that will last forever
Help make a positive impact locally in your community, as well as across the world
How Do I Become a Host Family?
How Do I Become a Successful Host Family?
Our Host Families Are What Make This Possible
Read about the amazing experiences our host families had while hosting a foreign exchange student
“For us, we don’t just treat our students like they are visitors — to us, they are our children”...continue reading
"We actually attended our exchange daughter’s prom in Germany after our program ended. We went to celebrate her graduation there with our whole family and hers!"
"Sharing our culture, customs, family & home with our student while learning about their way of life is so much fun! It helps our 12-year-old daughter learn as well. Can't imagine not doing it!"
"One month after our exchange student left, our daughter traveled to Spain to visit with her and her family. They missed each other so much! This was 2 years ago and they still talk almost daily. "
"My husband and I are retired and this experience so far has been amazing. We will definitely host next year and our student this year is talking about coming back to visit after she graduates in her country next year. She will always have a home here when she is in America."
"Going into hosting, I did not know what to expect. We did not only get a boy that was coming to America for a great experience but a son, best friend, and all around great kid. He was so much more than we could have hoped for!"
Host Family Blog
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the steps to host a foreign exchange student:
- Contact International Student Exchange and complete our host family interest form
- We will then send you more information, as well as our host family application. This will allow you to tell us about your family, household and lifestyle.
- Since safety is our priority, all potential host families must pass a background check and home check.
- Once accepted, you will be able to work with a local area representative to select an exchange student.
There are countless benefits to hosting an exchange student. Below you will find some of the great benefits that come along with being a host family.
- Experience and learn about a new culture
- Create a lifelong friend
- Have a positive impact on your family and local community
To read more about the impact you can have as a host family, check out awesome blog articles!
Host An Exchange Student in Your State
With over 40 regional offices and host families in all 50 states, International Student Exchange helps bring foreign exchange students to every corner of the U.S.