Frequently Asked Questions about Becoming an Area Representative

How do you become an area representative? How am I compensated? Am I required to host a student?

Get answers to all of these questions and more by reading our frequently asked area representative questions. If you have a question that isn’t answered below, send us a message!

  • Develop and maintain relationships with local high schools
  • Recruit volunteer host families in your town to host ISE foreign exchange students
  • Provide supervision and support throughout the exchange student’s cultural exchange program

All applicants must live and be authorized to work in the United States and have:

  • A valid US driver’s license
  • Internet connection
  • Ability to pass a Criminal Background Check
  • Become Department of State Certified
  • Reliable transportation

25 years of age or older

The Area Representative role is done from home and out in your local community. Reps attend local events and arrange activities to promote ISE cultural exchange at their convenience. When supervising an exchange student, reps are required to make bi-monthly in-person visits to each student while maintaining phone contact at least once every month. The position is flexible and can range from a few hours per week to a totally new lifestyle – you decide!

Although the position may be remote, you will have plenty of places to receive support and guidance from. Each Area Representative reports into a local regional manager who provides guidance and training. Additional training and support is also provided from our home office via various online and in-person resources.

  • Area Representatives are independent contractors who receive payment each time they successfully place a foreign exchange student with a volunteer family. They also receive payment at key supervision check points throughout a program. Many bonus opportunities are also made available throughout the year.
  • Area Representatives who recruit 8 approved volunteer families can also earn a spot on our annual Celebration of Success incentive trip. This is an international trip provided by ISE to reward the hard work and dedication shown by our reps throughout the program season. Trip locations have included Ireland, Spain, England, Argentina, and many other beautiful international destinations. Recruit additional families to earn spots on the trip for family and friends!

Anyone! Whether you are a stay at home mom or currently employed, you can succeed and make additional income.

Current host families make excellent Area Representatives as well. Their knowledge of other cultures and how ISE operates make them perfect candidates for becoming an Area Rep.

Yes! You are absolutely allowed to host a student and be an Area Representative. Your foreign exchange student will have to be supervised by another Area Representative in your area.

No, you are not required to host a foreign exchange student if you are an ISE Area Representative.

There is no minimum number for placing exchange students. ISE Area Representatives that place 7 or more foreign exchange students can earn a spot on our annual Celebration of Success trip.

No, it is not required that you or the host family speak a second language. All ISE exchange students speak English.

No, ISE hires Area Representatives in all 50 states. We hire year round so apply today!

Complete our Area Representative interest form to begin!