- Work with your local high school to secure placements for exchange students
- Connect exchange students with volunteer host families in your community
- Provide support and guidance for exchange students throughout their stay in the USA
- Grow your local presence by recruiting other representatives
At ISE, we believe that cross-cultural experiences are essential to greater understanding, personal development, and exchange program success. To honor this commitment, we reward our field staff with an expense-paid trip to an exciting international location each year. This trip, called our Celebration of Success, focuses on building relationships across our remote field staff and providing culturally enriching experiences. Past trip destinations include Ireland, Scotland, Argentina, Germany, Spain, England, Amsterdam, and more!
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about working in student exchange. Be sure to check out our full Area Representative FAQ page for more information.
The Area Representative role is done from home and out in your local community. Reps attend local events and arrange activities to promote ISE cultural exchange at their convenience. When supervising an exchange student, reps are required to make bi-monthly in-person visits to each student while maintaining phone contact at least once every month. The position is flexible and can range from a few hours per week to a totally new lifestyle – you decide!
- Area Representatives are independent contractors who receive payment each time they successfully place a foreign exchange student with a volunteer family. They also receive payment at key supervision check points throughout a program. Many bonus opportunities are also made available throughout the year.
- Area Representatives who recruit 7 approved volunteer families can also earn a spot on our annual Celebration of Success incentive trip. This is an international trip provided by ISE to reward the hard work and dedication shown by our reps throughout the program season. Trip locations have included Ireland, Spain, England, Argentina, and many other beautiful international destinations. Recruit additional families to earn spots on the trip for family and friends!
All applicants must live and be authorized to work in the United States and have:
- A valid US driver’s license
- Internet connection
- Ability to pass a Criminal Background Check
- Become Department of State Certified
- Reliable transportation
Find Exchange Program Area Representative Opportunities in Your State
International Student Exchange has Area Representatives working in all 50 states, operating out of over 40 regional offices. Find your nearest office and join the team today!
Read Sarah Stanford’s amazing story on going from host family, to area representative, to Regional Manager in Louisiana.
HOST A STUDENT
Global friendship starts with local action. Volunteer to host a student today!
JOIN OUR TEAM
Change the world, one family at a time. Apply to become an ISE Area Representative!
Explore a new culture and experience a new way of life. Become an exchange student!